Sponsored by

Students suffer cabon monoxide poisoning at elementary school

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 Utah) - An elementary school was evacuated and several students transported to area hospitals after a carbon monoxide leak
SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 Utah) – More than a dozen students were taken to local hospitals after a carbon monoxide leak at their school.

"At about 9:30 this morning our dispatch center received a 911 call from the Montezuma Creek elementary school reporting some odors,” says Rick Bailey with the San Juan County emergency services.

It was carbon monoxide filling the classrooms at the school located in the four corners region.

“There were kids dizzy and nauseous and were having a hard time standing up,” says Bailey.

Just a short distance from the school Judith Rentz was working at the Red Mesa Express. She ran to grab her grandchildren at the school.

"I just seen some kids laying (sic) in the back of the elementary with kids covered half way," says Rentz.

She says the kids were being helped by teachers and paramedics.

“There was (sic) a lot of kids there and some of them were just crying and there was some little one's there and they didn't even know what was going on," says Rentz.

Her grandchildren were okay.

But authorities say several ambulances were transporting at least 15 school children to local hospitals.

"The last report I got, the nurses stated that all students were okay,” says Kit Mantz with the San Juan School District. “They're just being monitored.

Once the school was cleared officials found the problem. It was a faulty water heater.

“Apparently something had disconnected the exhaust pipe on the water heater,” says Bailey. “Those fumes coming out of the water heater were going into the school building rather than being exhausted outside.”

School officials say the elementary school will resume classes Tuesday morning.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus
cars.png dixie-local.jpg
Comic Con

TV Schedule Sponsored By:

Popular Stories on Facebook