42°F
Sponsored by

Highland school fire turns out to be man made

HIGHLAND, Utah (ABC 4 Utah) - School kids were nearly sent home Thursday morning at Freedom Elementary after a fire sparked in the auditorium.
HIGHLAND, UTAH (ABC 4 Utah) - School kids were nearly sent home Thursday morning at Freedom Elementary after a fire sparked in the auditorium.  The fire broke out around 8a.m. Firefighters tell ABC 4 Utah the flames started on stage in the auditorium and 600 kids had to be evacuated to a church across the street for safety.

There are no injuries the fire was contained to a small area on the stage,” said Battalion Chief Joseph McRae for Lone Peak Fire District. “It was actually a small piece of foam rubber that was burning” said John Patten the Alpine School District spokesperson

Firefighters say the damage from the fire is minimal, but have determined it was man made.

The school district says 600 students were in the school at the time of the evacuation and parents like Debbie Skousen were quickly notified. "I feel really good about it actually because of the way the school handled it. They seemed to be on top of things and we got phone calls immediately about what happened and emails,” said Skousen.

Firefighters say with freezing temperatures standing out in the cold during a fire can also be dangerous, but fortunately Freedom Elementary School had a plan already in order.

“It is seven degrees out here and normally the kids all meet in the back of the school in sections with their teacher for roll call. So, we are very fortunate that this church was right across the street for those kids to be evacuated to,” said Battalion Chief McRae.

Firefighters say Thursdays fire is the perfect example of why fire drills are important to have and that they are effective.

 

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus
local-businesses.png
cars.png dixie-local.jpg
Comic Con


TV Schedule Sponsored By:

Top Stories

Popular Stories on Facebook