Around 9:30 a..m San Juan County Sheriff's Office dispatch received a 9-1-1 call from Montezuma Creek Elementary reporting carbon monoxide odors. At 9:40 dispatch recieved a second call of students being dizzy and sick requesting ambulances be sent to the scene.
EMS crews from Montezuma Creek, Bluff, Monticello and Blanding along with three ambulances from the Navajo Nation, along with numerous fire and law enforcement officers responded to the scene.
San Juan School district officials estimated that about 280 students and facility were in the school. School maintenance officials found problems associated with a water heater and the exhaust system.
The water heater was shut down and students were removed from the school and were reunited with parents and guardians. The Montezuma Creek Elementary Schools will remain closed Monday but Whitehorse High School remains open and operating. The elementary school plans to be open Tuesday morning with all classes taking place.
A total of thirty students and adults were triaged at the scene. Two patients including one student and adult were transported via medical helicopter. Twenty three other students and adults were transported from the scene to area hospitals.