PROVO, Utah (ABC 4 Utah)- More than 350 people signed a petition to prevent a new subdivision in Utah County. Patterson Construction wants to build homes just below Box Elder Canyon. But some people who live nearby say its a dangerous location. Tuesday night's Utah County Planning Commission lasted three hours as some 20 people urged the commission not to allow the new development. It would sit right next to the area where the Quail Fire burned and later caused major flooding.
"Even under these difficult conditions of a fire and burn scare this property was not negatively impacted," said Ross Welch with Patterson Construction.
Patterson Construction Representative Ross Welch says the proposed property is safe for homes and they have experts who agree.
"Our property is zoned for residential development and we have complied with each of the county's requirements. The county fire marshal has approved this plan. The county engineer has approved this plan. The planning department and legal have approved this plan," said Welch.
But some Box Elder Neighborhood residents say they have a petition on Change.org with hundreds of signatures of people who disagree with the proposed development. Some of them live in the Patterson built neighborhood that many objected to 18 years ago.
"Your studies said it was safe and it is not. It was proven to not be safe as evidenced by a lot of these neighbors who will talk," said Alpine homeowner Tessa White.
About 20 Alpine residents urged the Utah County Planning Commission to not approve Patterson's plans. But former chairman of Alpine's planning commission James Johnson is for the new construction.
"Although the pattersons are hard negotiators, I could rely upon them to perform according to that which I said they would do," said Alpine homeowner James Johnson.
But these reassurances weren't good enough for others like Tessa White who argued and ultimately swayed the commission.
"Just long enough where we can get independent surveys done mirror them against others. Have experts in the community weigh those together, meet with your county engineer, have a hearing where we can ask questions and then be able to move forward," said White.
This was a 3-2 vote to delay a decision until February 19th. In the next few months, the group against the development plans to get independent experts to survey the land and discuss possible problems. There will be another meeting and then the commission will approve or deny Patterson's plans.