Below is a breakdown of the events that started with the attempt by officers to conduct a drug raid and ended with the tragic death of an Ogden police officer.
Wednesday, January 4, 2011 (starting at 8:40 p.m.)
- Narcotics officers attempt to serve search warrant at Matthew David Stewart’s home.
- Officers bust door open; they’re ambushed with bullets
- Six officers and Stewart shot in firefight; all rushed to hospitals
- Agent Jared Francom dies at Ogden Regional Medical Center
- Detectives work overnight on investigation
- News conference at Ogden Police Department (9 a.m.)
- Stewart identified as suspect in case; has non-life threatening injuries
- Ogden Police Officer Jason Vanderwarf released from hospital
- McKay-Dee Hospital Spokesman updates statuses of 4 other law enforcement officials
- Gov. Gary Herbert visits with wounded peace officers and families
- Herbert holds makes public statement about shooting