ZUCCHINI & BACON SOUP
This is a great way to use the zucchini out of your garden. People often think it's made with broccoli. The beauty of this soup is it doesn't need much prep work at all. It takes a few minutes to cut the zucchini into chunks, a few minutes to simmer, puree and it's ready! You can simmer the zucchini either in the microwave it or on the stove.
5 med. zucchini
3 Tbsp. dried onion flakes
or 1 cup chopped onion
3 oz pkg. bacon bits
2 cups half-&-half
Freshly ground pepper
1. Heat the chicken broth in the large pot on high.
2. While the broth is heating, cut the zucchini in slices or chunks and place it in the broth.
3. Add the onion flakes and bacon.
4. When the soup comes to a boil, turn the heat down to medium. Cover the lid and let it simmer 10-15 minutes.
5. When zucchini chunks are tender, puree them with a stick blender. Or, use a stand blender and puree in two batches.
6. Add a few grinds of pepper to taste, and the half and half, or milk, or fat-free half-and-half. Serve topped with more bacon, croutons or a sprinkle of cheese.
- "Soup's On!" by Valerie Phillips (Covenant Books)
2 (14 oz) cans chicken broth