Crystal Thomas told ABC4 Tuesday, "Beginning of October when it started to get cold, we found out it wasn't working."
Crystal is talking about her home's heater. It stopped working.
While that was bad enough, the next blow was worse.
Thomas said, "That was the hardest. I'm still in shock to this day that my six-year-old son has cancer."
Crystal's son Ryan had been complaining all summer that his back hurt. When the pain wouldn't go away, the family went to Primary Children's Medical center where they learned the boy has bone cancer.
Ryan's Grandmother Jill told ABC4 News, "It breaks my heart to see this little boy go through this. He's not very sick now, but the next round of chemo will be the kicker."
You might think things couldn't get much worse, but they did when the family car broke down.
Jill said, "It just kills me. If i could switch them place, I would in a heart beat."
She got talking with friends looking for help and Action Heating and Air Conditioning received the call for help.
Nate Di Palma from Action said, "We don't fix transmissions. We really can't fix cancer, but we can fix heat."
Tuesday a brand new furnace was installed in the Thomas home, they can now focus on getting this little guy healthy.
Crystal said, "Words cannot describe the thanks that I have."