40°F
Sponsored by

Apartment evacuated after carbon monoxide detected

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) – A carbon monoxide alarm went off on the second floor of the building forcing 17 people from their homes.
SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) – People living at a condominium complex in Salt Lake City got quite a scare Tuesday night.

A carbon monoxide alarm went off on the second floor of the building forcing 17 people from their homes. It happened at 159 E 800 South. Firefighters rushed to the scene and evacuated the building. Unhealthy levels of the gas were detected.

Fire fighters say carbon monoxide is so dangerous because you can't smell it, taste it or see it. It’s unclear what caused the dangerous levels on Tuesday but investigators said it could be any number of items typically used in homes this time of year as the weather gets colder.

"Things that produce carbon monoxide are gas heaters, gas stoves, dryers, wood burning stoves, refrigerators, all these things we have in our homes,” said Jason Asay, PIO for the Salt Lake Fire Department. “Usually if there's a problem with carbon monoxide in our homes it's because the gas isn't being vented.”

The unhealthy levels of the gas only affected the second floor apartments. Business owners on the first floor below say it's still alarming to have the deadly gas so close.

"It is scary just to know there are people right above us that are amongst that,” said Redmon Mahe, owner of Redmon's Barbershop.

Jerry Anderson who works underneath the apartments at Awesome Title Loans agrees. "It does bring up a lot of questions—you want to go home and make sure all of your batteries are in your fire alarms make sure your fire alarms are carbon monoxide safe."
Investigators said a carbon monoxide detector alerted the residents. They hope the situation serves as a reminder to have a working detector in every home.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus
local-businesses.png
cars.png dixie-local.jpg
Comic Con


TV Schedule Sponsored By:

Popular Stories on Facebook