LAYTON, Utah (ABC 4 Utah) - A home in Layton is damaged Monday night after a fire tears through the building.
A neighbor first noticed the fire in the Rolling Hills Estates near 2900 North Hill Field Road. After the neighbor noticed the fire, they helped the elderly person living in the home get out safely.
Once firefighters got to the home, it only took ten minutes to extinguish the fire.The homeowner said that she had dropped a lit cigarette into a garbage can and that ignited the blaze.
Estimated damage to the home sits at about $35 thousand dollars.