The crew from Wasatch Valley Excavation have been working on 2000 West 2850 South in Syracuse, replacing water pipes and repairing the street, but a couple weeks ago their work was interrupted.
Steven Ewing told ABC 4 Utah, “We smelled smoke and we didn’t see anything, didn’t figures anything but the boss started walking back smelled smoke again. We look at the house and smoke is rolling off the house.”
The boss, President of Wasatch Valley Excavation Beau Montgomery said, “I knew it was something. I didn’t know if it was a piece of equipment or what it was.”
That’s when they saw the smoke. Without thinking they ran towards the house.
“We went running into the house yelling, ‘Hey, anybody here?’” said Montgomery.
Sure enough the homeowner was inside, sitting down unaware of the danger she faced.
Ewing explained, “There’s a lady in there; got her up. She said ‘No, it ain’t on fire,’ and I said, ‘yeah it is. Come get your keys let’s get out.’”
“She came out, she was acting a little funny, in disbelief in what was going on,” explained Montgomery. “We finally talked her into leaving the house.”
The men were able to get the homeowner and her two vehicles out before firefighters arrived. When crews got there and accessed the woman they realized she had high levels of carbon monoxide in her system, and that was likely why she was acting so disoriented and unaware of the fire burning just above her head in the attic.
Ewing said, “She was lucky she wasn’t asleep. They said the carbon monoxide level in there was outrageous.”
Ewing, Montgomery, Bill Bundy and one other Wasatch Valley Excavation employee will be honored at the Syracuse City Hall Tuesday at 7 p.m.