“It's very scary, very scary, we could have not woken up,” said Mary Burgener.
Wednesday morning Mary and her two kids woke up smelling gas and feeling sick. “I just went in the bathroom, I sat on the floor and felt like I was going to throw up,” said Zach Burgener, 12.
Mary called Questar. The gas company told her to get the kids out of the house. Then she went back in to look for her brother in law, Adrian Mendoza.
“Went in, it was a horrible smell, I found him unconscious on the floor of the bathroom,” Mary said. “I believed he took a breath and I told him I yelled at him to ‘get up we needed to get out of the house’ and obviously he didn't respond.”
A Questar employee already en route pulled Adrian out of the house. He remains in critical condition.
Measurements showed extremely high levels of carbon monoxide found mostly in the basement where Adrian was. But Mary and the kids upstairs were also poisoned which is why they've had to undergo three hyperbaric chamber treatments in the last 24 hours.
The family had a carbon monoxide detector in the home, but it wasn't working.
Adrian has mounting medical costs. A fund has been set up at any Mountain America Credit Union under the name Adrian Mendoza or Debra Zazala.