The Ogden police were serving a drug related search warrant at the home of Matthew David Stewart when shots broke out.
Witnesses say they heard a number of gunshots, including what they describe as automatic weapon fire, around 8:45 pm Wednesday night.
Clayton Payne lives in the neighborhood. He told ABC 4, "We heard multiple gunshots going off, sounded like an AK-47s. I ran out of the house and came down to the corner and was escorted back to the house by uniform officers with their rifles at hand."
Five other officers were in McKay Dee Hospital being treated for gunshot wounds. Their conditions range from serious to critical condition. One of the officers has already been treated and released.
The officers are:
- Sergeant Nate Hutchinson, Weber County Sheriff - stable condition
- Officer Jason Vanderworf, Roy City Police - treated and released
- Agents Shawn Grogan, Ogden City Police - critical condition
- Agent Casey Burrell, Ogden City Police - critical condition
- Officer Michael Runkles, Ogden City Police - critical condition
Agent Francom has served the citizens of Ogden City for seven years. He is survived by his wife and two young children.
Click here for a complete transcript and video of the press conference from Thursday.
Ogden police setup a series of accounts for donations to the officers at the Bank of Utah.
Stay with ABC 4 for more on this developing story.