1. Why would you want to run in the cold weather?
• Running in cold weather…
1. Helps keep your weight under control during a time of year when eating healthy isn’t always easy
2. Helps combat Seasonal Affective Disorder
3. Helps you build up endurance and stamina
4. Can actually be easier than running when it’s hot because it’s easier for your body to stay cool
2. What are some of the safety measures that people need to take when working out in cold weather?
• Check the forecast If the temperature dips below 0, or the wind chill below 20 it’s best to stay indoors
• Avoid over-dressing. Sweat can be a dangerous element when it’s cold outside
• Wear reflective gear
3. What special gear do you need when running in the winter?
o Look for shoes with more traction; slip-on ice grippers are a good
option especially when navigating hills and rough terrain
o Look for shoes that are waterproof and have little to no mesh to
prevent water from seeping in
o Approximately 40% of the bodies head is lost through your head.
We recommend wearing a fleece-lined or wool hat
o Wicking base layer – the layer closest to the body should be made
from a synthetic wicking material like polyester and microfiber to
keep the skin dry
o Insulating layer – choose a looser fitting second layer to keep you
o Wind and water-proof outer layer – a jacket with a zipper is an ideal
• Skin Protection:
o Wear an SPF on your face and neck whenever you’re running during the day, especially if there is snow on the ground as the reflection enhances the rays
o Wear a lip balm. It’s best to get a lip balm with SPF
o Wear sunglasses or winter goggles to protect your eyes from the wind.
• Hand-held or Belt Water Bottle:
o Cold air has a drying effect, which increases the risk of dehydration. Drink water before, during and after breaks. Remember, public water stations are going to be closed so it’s best to carry something with you.
4. Upcoming cold-weather event: Commitment Day on January 1, 2013
• People can test out their cold-weather gear at Life Time’s first ever Commitment Day 5K race which is happing in 30 cities across the nation, and here in Salt Lake City on January 1st.
If you're interested in learning more about Life Time’s Commitment Day and the 5K training program, go to www.commitmentday.com
Note for Viewers:
Viewers can get a $5 discount on Commitment Day registration by using the
code CORP0288 at www.CommitmentDay.com