In July of 2011, we announced our "Commitments to Offer Improved Nutrition Choices," where we shared our three primary goals:
• champion children's well-being
• expand and improve nutritionally-balanced menu choices
• increase customer and employee access to nutrition information and education
Many people look to us as a company that can and should lead by example. We take that expectation very seriously and we're not resting. Instead, we're accelerating our efforts to help customers and employees make informed nutrition choices.
· As you know we introduced the McDonald's new Happy Meal launched just over a year ago to automatically include Apple Slices, a kids size fry, and the option of a beverage including fat-free chocolate milk, 1% low-fat white milk, apple juice or a soft drink..
· With that change alone we anticipate introducing 100 million cups of apples annually into the diets of our youngest customers.
· All of McDonald's nationally advertised Happy Meals offer at least 1 ½ servings of at least one recommended food group and three or more essential nutrients.
· We're also working to reduce sodium by an average of 15 percent overall across the national menu of food choices, excluding beverages, by 2015.
· Since early 2011, McDonald's has reduced the sodium across the national menu of food choices by 11.3% percent.
Putting Innovation on the Front Burner
· Evolving our menu and continuing to offer our customers a variety of choices are top priorities at McDonald's. But it's not just about nutrition. It's about making wholesome foods taste great. It's also about preparing high-quality, great tasting food that's affordable, fun and easy
· A great example of this innovation is the new Premium McWrap that we introduced nationally today. The introduction of the new entrée line Premium McWrap is part of McDonald's broader effort to enhance and expand our menu offerings to meet our customers' evolving needs and taste preferences.
· We know our customers are looking for freshly prepared, convenient meal options that taste great. With its abundance of ingredients and unique flavors, Premium McWrap offers customers just that - a new entrée choice that's sure to satisfy their appetite and taste buds.
· We're proud to offer our customers a new way to enjoy fresh vegetables at McDonald's. In fact, Premium McWrap is McDonald's USA's first handheld entrée to feature crisp cucumbers and spring mix lettuce.
· All Premium McWrap varieties come with grilled or crispy chicken, spring greens and shredded lettuce in warm tortilla wrap. Customers can choose from three flavors:
Sweet Chili Chicken McWrap: sweet chili sauce, creamy garlic sauce, and sliced cucumbers
Chicken & Bacon McWrap: creamy garlic sauce, bacon, cheddar jack cheese, and tomato
Chicken & Ranch McWrap: ranch sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, cheddar jack cheese, sliced cucumbers, and tomato