She knows that many parents are very well-intentioned but don't have the right mindset or knowledge on how to protect their kids. So, she developed the site: Securemama.com as a guide to improve Internet safety in the home.
Here are her tips:
1) Take an Inventory of Internet Devices - Today everything is connected and can access content from the Internet. We need to treat these devices like we would a computer or laptop. Take an inventory of the Internet capable devices in your home.
2) Be Involved - Talk to your kids about the Internet and be involved. If kids are not aware of the dangers on the Internet they can get into trouble. Set up rules for your home. Print out the rules and have kids sign them. Be aware of the social networks your kids have accounts. Set up your own account on the social network and follow them.
3) Set Limits - Going on the Internet is like driving a car. Only until you have been through years of back-seat driving, classes, tests, can you drive a vehicle without an adult. Keep your kids buckled in while they are learning to navigate on the Internet - Web filters, Anti-virus, user accounts, parental controls - These can all protect your family as they learn how to navigate safely on the Internet. My website has many easy to follow tutorials that will you how to set up these controls.
- Install K9 web filter or other web filter app - This is your new web browser.
- Open up the restrictions tab on your iPad
- Set a password to access restrictions
- Disable Safari on the iPad
- Now all web traffic is forced through the k9 web browser which will be filtered.
Go to the website - everything is free and there to help you! If you have any questions leave a comment or send Cathy a message on Facebook. She loves helping people out!
Fore more information, please visit:
Here are the links to put on the abc4 site.