This is a fun, simple kids craft--perfect for an afternoon at home or with friends at school. It also makes a sweet gift to include in children's Easter baskets.
Supplies (for 1 bunny):
· 2 sheets of felt
· coordinating cotton fabric scraps
· needle and embroidery thread
· paper and pencil
· straight pins
· 2 small buttons (for eyes)
· 1 Pom pom
· Hot glue gun
1. Trace hand with three middle fingers (index, middle, & ring) close together and the thumb and pinky extended on a piece of paper. Leave lots of extra room for seam allowance and a wide base for hand to get in and out of puppet, once sewn. Cut out.
2. Freehand draw two long, bunny ears, proportional to the bunny body you just drew. Cut out.
3. Place felt sheets, one on top of the other, and use your paper templates to cut out the bunny body and ears. You should now have 2 bodies and 4 ears.
4. Cut out smaller long, bunny ears, which will be sewn inside the felt ears from your coordinating cotton fabric. (You can freehand draw a template on paper, if needed.)
5. Stack two felt ears, one on top of the other. Place the smaller ear centers you just cut from your coordinating fabric on top of that.
6. Using embroidery thread and a needle, hand sew the three layers of fabric together. A running stitch around the outline of the smaller ear center is perfect.
7. Repeat for 2nd ear.
8. Sew eyes on one of the bunny bodies, as well as a mouth. A simple "X" works perfectly. If you're wanting to embellish your bunny with trims, bows, embroidery, etc., now it the time to do it.
9. Place ears on top of bunny body back, and place bunny body front on top.
10. Pin around the outline of the bunny body, being sure to catch ears in pins so they don't move.
11. Using embroidery floss and a needle, sew outer perimeter of bunny body with a simple running stitch.
12. Hot glue a pom pom on the back of the bunny.
13. You're finished! Place on hand and enjoy a little puppet show with Peter Cottontail and friends.
For more ideas from Krista, please visit her blog: http://www.kristamaurer.com.